Sunday, September 6, 2009

Swim: Hand Paddles

I have my work set out for me convincing triathletes to flip-turn, much less use swim specific equipment like hand paddles. Beyond a colorful way to accentuate your Splish suit, hand paddles can improve your swimming. 


When I asked my Master's coach about how to best optimize time spent in chlorinated waters when they're limited to only a couple of sessions a week, he responded that he would use, almost entirely, implements that increase your power delivery (paddles, fins, and resistance cords). I took this as a very powerful suggestion, and given the collegiate swim records he broke, feel confident suggesting paddles to the experienced triathlete swimmer. 






Swimming is accomplished through reducing drag and maximizing propulsion. Hand paddles work by increasing the surface area the swimmer pulls against, building greater strength than could be otherwise accomplished by swimming alone. I personally use and recommend The FINIS Freestyler style of paddle. It's freestyle specific and it's relatively smaller surface area won't strain the shoulders as much as the dinner plate sized paddles my ex-collegiate swimmer friends use. If you've found yourself with limited time to improve your swim or have plateaued in your fitness, try giving hand paddles a shot. My bet is you won't be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment