Friday, September 4, 2009

Nutrition: Nuun

Last month I was all set to race the same Olympic-distance course at which I had PR'd the previous year. I knew that with my increased fitness and the projected heat, this year proper nutrition would take on a considerably more important role. Nutrition is a common subject in triathlon, but it's rarely practiced to the extent that it's preached. Whereas I've previously been guilty of neglecting this incredibly important component of the sport, this year I would attack it head on. My race nutrition strategy relied upon taking a gel early in the bike, drinking a 16oz bottle on the way out (the bike format was out-and-back), drinking a 12oz bottle on the way back, and then taking a gel late in the bike.  The gels were by CLIF and the bottles contained, respectively, Lemon-Lime GU2O and Nuun tri-berry. Though each will be discussed in the future, I'll profile Nuun here.

 
Nuun is not only a palindrome, but a company dedicated to replenishing multi-sport athletes. The company itself is a combination of scientifically researched and formulated products and the free-spirited nature of those who love the outdoors. I personally like the refined electrolyte formula and absence of carbs, allowing me to control my carb intake while taking care of the Atkins-approved side of training and race day fueling. The company is worth a very thorough look, and can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment