Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Breakfast: Abs of steel... cut oats?

Recent research suggests that 25% of one's daily caloric intake should be consumed within 1 hour of waking up (i.e. breakfast). I believe that I have found an excellent first meal in the form of steel cut oats.

Not to scale. But close.
Steel cut oats, as Wikipedia tells me, are the inner portion of the grain kernel. They more closely resemble stubby rice than the typical flakes we associate with the 'oat' label. I believe the texture that results from the steel cut shape is much more agreeable to consumption and really enhances my oat experience. In addition, there's a very pleasant nutty flavor that I've never noticed in oatmeal, which has always been for me more of a question of 'can I choke it down?' But the purpose isn't the taste, it's the nutrition.


In steel cut oats, the quality nutrition provided by the oat is delivered in a now consumable package. High-fiber, low fat, full of minerals, and even surprisingly high in protein (6g per serving), the oat is an excellent choice to start the day off right. But, as is the case with many good things in life, if it's worth while it often takes a while, and these little oats are no exception.


Cooked straight up the oats take about 20 minutes. When I first started eating them (note: I've been having them just about daily for the past 4 months), I would cook them at night and let them sit, strain them in the morning and voila. This method is highly conducive to the professional on the go, or for the morning person who likes to sleep in as late as possible. Just bring water to a boil at night, add the oats (I typically have 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup), and then turn off the heat. They'll soak over night, expanding in size and gaining a soft, chewy texture. Then in the morning you can strain them quickly and be off. Make two meals worth at once and you're now even more efficient. I've noticed that this method does diminish the taste of the oats, which I enjoy, so do take that into consideration.


When I wake up I stumble into the kitchen, pour some water into a pot (I approximate 4 cups), let it boil, introduce the oats, then let it summer on a notch below medium heat. After 15 minutes you're good to go.

I enjoy my oats with a handful of raisins, applesauce, and a dash of cinnamon. I've found that brown sugar, syrup, or honey tend to diminish the health benefits somewhat if indulged in daily. Fresh blueberries or banana slices also complement the oats nicely. I enjoy mine along with cottage cheese on whole wheat bread with maybe  a very small bowl of raspberry yogurt.


Note: I received the tip to add applesauce and cinnamon from an interview of Ryan Reynolds. He just recently starred in The Proposal, which is a great movie to take the wife or girlfriend to, and as you can see from a quick Google search, he's put the oats to good use.


No comments:

Post a Comment