Sunday, September 6, 2009

Introducing the 2010 Felt B16

Performance on a budget
There will never be enough superlatives for me to describe how excited I am by this machine. 
The value inherent within a full carbon frame from Felt at the $2000 price-point, produced from the same molds as the venerable DA, that is kitted out with some excellent components and additional, very nice aesthetic and functional details is not lost on me. The less apparent detail paid to a very serviceable geometry for multi-sport makes this bike nearly perfect in my opinion. 

There are two excellent on-line reviews of the B16 that I will defer to for objective technical analysis. 

Here is Dan Empfield's review, Felt B16 for 2010.

Here is Tom Demerly's review of the 2009 Felt B16, entitled, "The Top Floor of the Bargain Basement"


Yet just how a man loves his wife not for the major characteristics, but for the little things, so too will I describe the little things I love about this bike. 

1) Top tube cable entry. Whereas Cervelo has decided to 'stay the course' and not update its molds with this aerodynamically superior and much sexier routing of the cables, Felt has done just that. This system of cable entry is another small step forward in the evolution of the tri-bike, and its inclusion here is just one of many testaments to how  this machine ridiculously outperforms its $2,000 pricepoint. 

2) I am personally a huge fan of the new Felt-brand aerobars. The adjustability combined with the undeniable aesthetic appeal (the white covers on the base bar, the red anodized clamp for the extensions, the low profile... ) make for all of the steak and all of the sizzle. In my opinion, you would have a hard time upgrading these bars for less than $500 aftermarket.

3) The paint job. It is very important that you want to ride your bike, and the paint job and overall appearance of the B16 certainly strikes a chord with me. I believe Felt hit a home run with their entire 2010 line up. 

4) Click on the picture to enlarge it. Check out the front brake with the white brake caliper body and anodized red pad-holders. That, to me, is amazing. Then move your gaze slowly backwards and notice the smooth progression of the fork to the headtube. It's a subtle transition, and this is a very important area (aerodynamically) that often gets overlooked.

For the money, I can't imagine a better machine even including the infamous Cervelo P2C. Though the component spec is modest, with Shimano 105 derailleurs and an FSA Gossamer Mega EXO crank, it has everything you need to win the race to T2 at your local tri or to PR in Kona. This bike is so good, your spouse couldn't even object to its purchase. It's wife-proof. 

I believe any serious triathlete should give the B16 a serious look, and if it fits you, stop looking and de-thaw the credit card. 

2 comments:

  1. I recently purchased this bike and I couldn't agree more with everything you are saying! It is not only gorgeous it performs remarkably well especially in the wind. It is nice to have it especially with in the windy springtime! I literally came back into transition and hugged this bike after our first tri together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been a Felt owner for years and i am beginning to covet the B16.

    ReplyDelete