Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Run: Running- something to do during winter

For something so simple, running can be surprisingly complicated. Though that's not one of the most intelligent sentences I've ever written, a runner would certainly nod along knowingly. One of the great mysteries of running lies in its attraction. 

Be it for the pain, the release, the fitness, or any combination of these, running has an unmistakable appeal. This appeal, however, is completely incomprehensible to the non-running populace and only apparent to the runner after about three weeks of continuous training. But once the motivation and even desire to run is reached, it can be a powerful drive towards new fitness. 

After neglecting my running for the chlorinated and wheel-assisted disciplines, I've come full circle and readily embraced it. My base training phase will be dedicated to running, in fact, and I'm maintaining the motivation to train despite the deteriorating weather by signing up to race. In late September, I registered for the Halloween Monster Dash 5km on Oct. 25th and the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 10km on November 26th. In preparing for these events, I'll have a great push to get out the door and also greatly improve my triathlon racing. 






Racing within the individual sports is one of the most enjoyable elements of multi-sport, ironically, and I would highly recommend finding a local event or two to place on the calendar to keep you motivated in the coming months. Ontherunevents.com and a Google search for local running clubs/stores are two great resources to get you started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment