Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bike: Working while working out

My current endeavors require that I study for at least an hour or two each day. At the same time, I also need to put time in on the saddle, and the colder temperatures are making a push towards increasing riding time spent indoors. Unlike many triathletes, I enjoy indoor riding because it facilitates one of my most highly favored activities: studying while on the bike trainer.



I simply prop my study materials on my aerobars and go to town. Though not conducive with more difficult interval workouts, studying on the trainer works perfectly for a steady tempo ride or a recovery ride. The only negative is that it's harder to focus while one is pedaling away. A highly quantitative study I performed revealed that study time on the trainer is equivalent to about 1/2 to 2/3 the time spent studying in a normal fashion.

If you haven't tried this and are reading a book or going over some expense reports, give it a go. Just make sure to place your fan off to the side to cool you off without blowing your material around.

No comments:

Post a Comment