Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Spokane's Riverside State Park

Spokane was recently named #2 city for Trail Running in the nation by Outside Magazine (Bend, OR came in first). I recently went on some trail runs in Spokane's beautiful and extensive Riverside State Park and took a few photos along the way. The terrain was steep and the area where I was running a bit rocky, but the beautiful forest and vistas I encountered more than made up for any difficulties.


I started at the "9-Mile" area trail-head and simply ran on trails with the intention of getting somewhat lost. I would head south on single-track trails and loop up the steep side of the plateau. 

When the going gets tough, the tough secretly walk because nobody's around

Reaching the plateau's edge provided sweeping views and little meadows replete with purple, yellow, and white wildflowers


Riverside State Park is aptly named, and the ability to find forest close to the city that feels remote is quite a gift



Rounding a switchback on a descent back towards the trail-head, I happened upon two hikers chatting with a  a wildlife photographer. The latter had been camped out for the past week filming a large eagle's nest with two fledgling eagles that was framed beautifully by the pine trees. In the above shot, I zoomed in with my simple camera to get a shot that is, admittedly, quite terrible. The images from the photographer were splendid, though. 


Imagine a road free of cars that meanders through tranquil wilderness. Up steep hills, through long flat sections, and past towering rock structures and cliffs. You're imagining the Centennial trail, one of my very favorite places to ride here in Spokane. 








No comments:

Post a Comment