Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Product Review: AlCis


Just the essentials: AlCis and Avery the guinea pig


Just a quick look at the AlCis website reveals exactly why I had no real interest in using their product. With marketing statements like, " a uniquely luxurious cream base was invented. Infused with nourishing botanicals and anti-oxidants it also re-hydrates the skin throughout the relief process. So soothing, so effective that it now lives on in a new line of ALCiS body care products," I'd think I was rubbing shampoo on myself. 


It gets worse. " And so it goes: a premise, a solution, a desire to develop a non-invasive, medical solutions to everyday health concerns. That is ALCiS… "


That... is exactly why I didn't use their product for two years. After receiving free samples in my Escape From Alcatraz swag bag, I passed them along to family because I thought it was just a gimmick. Apparently, I was mistaken. 


I do just about 100% of my running on trails, and recommend that everyone else do so (I don't care if it's not possible- make it happen). The sudden transition to racing the Turkey Trot 10km all on pavement, unsurprisingly, left my knee in a slight state of disrepair. Back at home for Thanksgiving, my Mom, who had received one of the aforementioned samples, ran to get some all the while espousing its virtues. I consented to try it, and am very glad I did so. 


As a topical analgesic, it's a pain relieving lotion applied directly to the area causing trouble. This localized application of pain relief is a nice advantage when compared to pills that are inherently generalized, distributing their effect throughout the body. There are also no apparent side effects. For example, if you're taking ibuprofen to reduce exercise-related pain, you risk upsetting your stomach or damaging your liver*.With AlCis, if you apply it wrong, well, then there's no help for you because it's pretty simple.  


After applying a generous amount to both knees, I went to bed. Upon waking, I felt a strong degree of Delayed Muscle Soreness throughout my lower body, except in the areas where I applied the cream. Walking downstairs, rather than inciting minor pain or tightness as it had the day before, was incident free, and an easy 20 minute recovery run on some local singletrack trail was pleasantly devoid of pain or tightness as well. 






I'm now an advocate of AlCis and have a tube of my own. While it won't combat the cause of inflammation, it will reduce the symptoms- allowing you a very enjoyable reduction in soreness or pain. If, of course, you do feel pain or tightness, rather than treating the symptoms, pursue the cause aggressively and make sure you're fully healthy before continuing training. But following a race, hard workout, or just a long day on your feet, I can personally attest to the benefits of AlCis. 


One other thing I'd like to mention, I was pleasantly surprised to find that, if you sift through the marketing hyperbole on the homepage, the Alcis website  reveals that they have a very nice list of teams, organizations, and races they sponsor, including Yale's Cycling team, USC's Tri Team, MS Waves to Wine, and the Lupus Foundation of Mid and Northern New York. I always like supporting companies that in turn sponsor developing athletes and disease advocacy organizations. 


And, yes, I am forced to admit that it was creamy and luxurious.


If you're regularly feeling sore or would like to reduce the symptoms of an injury that you're treating, try purchasing AlCis from one of any number of retail outlets (listed on the website). 






Note: Along with every other  product that I've reviewed, I have no connection to the company or financial incentive to review the product. I'm just sharing my experience as a consumer. 


*I'm not- yet -qualified to deliver medical advice. Before acting on anything I or anyone else writes, please independently affirm it's accuracy, or, if health-related, consult a medical professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment